‘Tis the season for holiday décor. But how do you incorporate it into a home for sale? Or should you decorate at all? At Ooh La La Home Staging, we believe that there’s a tasteful way to incorporate cheer without overdoing it and potentially turning off potential buyers.
1) Clean, clean, clean before decorating. A kitchen full of counter clutter won’t look any more delicious with a dish of gingerbread cookies sitting on it. That’s why it’s imperative to put small appliances, plates, etc., behind closed doors. THEN, feel free to add some sparkle!
2) Dress up the doorstep with planters (or perhaps a mistletoe). Sure the weather is cold outside, your outdoor greenery may look less than desirable, but as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Fake greenery with touches of silver to reflect the sun are great choices to get others to stop and notice your home.
3) Offer treats to visitors. Individually wrapped treats are a great way to show the holiday spirit and make buyers want to linger longer. House with no cookies? Eh. House with holiday treats? Yes, please.
4) Set the stage for holiday parties. If the home you are selling has a fantastic area for dining or hosting get-togethers, now is a perfect time to show them off. For example, you can set your dining room table with festive holiday plates or use your fabulous fireplace to hang stockings or hold a beautiful menorah.
5) Don’t go overboard. We get it, and you LOVE to decorate for the holidays. But without knowing the specific tastes of your buyers, a little can go a long way. Twinkling white lights are a definite crowd-pleaser. But may we suggest keeping your multicolored blinking inflatables put away until next year (so hard, we get it).
If you or someone you know has a home on the market or is thinking of selling, contact Ooh La La Home Staging to transform any empty house into a buyer’s dream.
Leave a Reply